2012年8月26日星期日

Traveling With Cloth Diapers


To travel with cloth or not? Doesn't this question always come up on diaper and natural parenting sites? When I first started cloth diapering I was super excited and traveled with my cloth-even without having a good system for doing so. Well, it ended up being hugely burdensome and the next time I traveled I left my cloth at home and purchased.... pampers. I know, I know... sheesh.

After rashes and paper cuts in my babe's most delicate of skin I knew I had to figure out this traveling with cloth thing. The next big trip my family took was a road trip from New Orleans to Smokey Mountain National Park, Asheville, Charleston and back and this time we brought our cloth!

I picked my favorites from my stash, brought a couple of extra wetbags, a bit of my fav cd soap, raw silk liners for long car stretches and hit the road. I used a wetbag until it was full. So instead of my diapers going into a big laundry bag like they would at home I just filled wetbags. On this trip I was using pockets, but my all-in-ones or prefolds are my favorite to travel with now because it's just one less step. My babe was eating solids at the time so for poops I just shook off what I could in lieu of the sprayer I would normally use at home-no dunking though! This mama doesn't do that! Flushable liners can help with this poopy matter.

We stayed at a cabin that had laundry facilities, a hotel with do-it-yourself laundry and a friend's house. When we didn't have a machine and dryer available we matched our rest-n-stretch stops with a laundry mat. Because these washers and dryers all had mystery residue left in them from their previous users ultra-scented laundry I just hoped for the best and stripped my diapers when I got home. I didn't have any problems the whole time we traveled and I haven't on more recent trips either, but I always strip just for good measure once we're home.

When flying I bring my diapers too. I make an effort to pack light and put the diapers in my own suitcase. When this doesn't work, like when traveling with bulky winter clothes, I just pack them in their own bag. A babe on a lap and everyone with a seat is allowed his/her own bag to check usually and mom can carry on a purse, diaper bag and a carry on. So-I can't carry all that myself... but I make it work. I either carry on a bag full of diapers (my purse is my diaper bag normally, so my bag-o-diapers becomes my carry on diaper bag) or a check a bag for babe, if I can't squeeze the diapers in one of our own suitcases.

I really enjoy traveling with my diapers. I find that making the time to hang at the hotel, a friend's house or a laundry mat to wash and dry always ends up being a nice time. It sort of slows the pace and we've had lots of great conversations and good belly laughs while the diapers spun and tumbled.

I'm actually out of town now for a few days and I have my diapers with me, of course! Since this trip is only for a short time I'm just filling my wetbags and I'll wash my diapers when I get home. Easy Peasy. I love not buying trash just because I'm traveling... inserts, especially microfiber, are great for cleaning up messes and a plush diaper or stack of prefolds makes a good pillow to prop a sleeping tot's head.

Have you traveled with your diapers? What are your travel tips? We'd love to hear.

Source: http://alvababy123.blogspot.com/2012/08/several-options-in-buying-cheap-baby.html

没有评论:

发表评论